Technological developments in the dental field have seen major improvements in the way that diagnoses and appropriate treatment plans are being made. At National Dental Oakland Gardens, we have invested in many of the latest technologies to improve the quality of your dental care. One of these technologies is our ICAT machine.
ICAT 3-DIMENSIONAL IMAGING
There are a variety of imaging technologies – X-rays, CT scans, CAT scans. The ICAT imaging technology is similar to that of X-ray technology, while the images produced more closely resemble those produced by a CT (computed tomography) scan. The machine has a cone-shaped X-ray beam that, as it scans, rotates 360 degrees around your head. As it moves, it takes a series of images. Once the scan is complete, the images are pieced together, creating a single 3-dimensional image that appears only seconds after your scan is complete. The image will show us your teeth, your jawbone, your soft tissues and even your nerves.
HOW IS THE SCAN DONE?
Before your scan, we will instruct you to remove any jewelry such as earrings and necklaces. You will also need to remove any hair accessories – clips, pins, hair ties – that have metal on them. If you wear glasses or hearing aids, those will need to be removed as well.
Once you are ready, we will have you sit at the ICAT machine. We will instruct you to place your chin on the rest, and we will adjust the machine as necessary. When done, we will take your image. The scan will take less than 60 seconds, but it is critical that you remain completely still throughout the process. Shortly after the scan is complete, the 3-dimensional image will display on our computer monitor, ready for reading.
HOW CAN THE IMAGES BE USED?
ICAT images provide us with a unique, in-depth look at the structures of your mouth. The image has several different uses including:
- Assessing the health of your jawbone. The image will tell us if you need a bone graft before getting dental implants. It can also tell us the optimal placement of dental implants.
- Taking a closer look at the internal structures of your teeth. This allows us to provide you with a better root canal treatment.
- Checking the severity of impacted teeth.
- Examining your sinus cavities, nasal passages, and nerve passageways.
- Diagnosing pathological diseases.
- Jaw surgery.
BENEFITS OF ICAT
There are several benefits to using ICAT imaging:
- Your scan is quick, completed in less than a minute.
- The process is completely pain-free.
- The image produced gives exact 1 to 1 measurements.
- Thanks to the 3-dimensional image, we are provided with multiple angles of your mouth. Moreover, with specialized software, we can further manipulate the image to get the best views.
- We can see everything inside your mouth.
- You can see the image along with us, and we can use it to help you better understand your diagnosis, along with why we are making certain treatment recommendations.
With the images produced by our ICAT machine, we can get a clearer picture of everything that is happening in your mouth, which allows us to form a much more effective treatment plan. Contact National Dental Oakland Gardens today at (718) 407-0574to learn more.