Sports are a great activity to get your child involved in. For every practice, you make sure your child has everything they need – their shoes, their uniform, and their protective gear. Along with their shin pads and helmets, a high-quality mouthguard is essential. The American Academy of Pediatrics reports that between 10% and 40% of all dental injuries sustained by children are caused by a sports related accident. A high-quality mouthguard will help to protect not only your child’s teeth but their oral tissues and jawbone as well. At National Dental Oakland Gardens, we can provide your child with a custom-fit mouthguard.
A mouthguard is an oral appliance. It is designed to protect your child’s mouth while they play sports. It protects their teeth from tooth injuries, such as chips, fractures or being knocked out. It protects the soft tissues of their mouth from lacerations or contusions. It also protects their jaw from dislocation or fracturing.
TYPES OF MOUTHGUARDS
There are three main types of mouthguards:
- Stock mouthguards. These are common mouthguards that can be found at just about any sporting goods store. While they are the most affordable option available, they are not always the most suitable. They are pre-molded, which means there is only a small chance that they will fit your childs mouth properly. In some cases, they can even interfere with your childs breathing while they play.
- Boil and bite mouthguards. These mouthguards are also quite common and can be found at any sporting goods store. They are not molded when you buy them. Instead, you drop them into boiling water for a short period and allow them to cool slightly, before having your child bite into them. They provide a semi-custom fit.
- Custom fit mouthguards. These mouthguards are professionally made. We provide custom-fit mouthguards at National Dental. While they may be more expensive than other options, they fit perfectly in your childs mouth, providing them with the best possible protection.
TAKING CARE OF YOUR CHILD’S MOUTHGUARD
It is important that your child take care of their mouthguard, which will help to ensure that it continues to take care of them. They should rinse their mouthguard off before and after each use. If possible, brushing the mouthguard with toothpaste is better. Periodically, it should be washed with soap and water.
When your child is not using their mouthguard, it should be stored in a hard, plastic case that provides ventilation, which will help to prevent the buildup of bacteria. Your child should never leave their mouthguard exposed to heat, or direct sunlight, for prolonged periods of time, as this can damage the material. At the first sign of damage, replace it right away.
BENEFITS OF A CUSTOM-FIT MOUTHGUARD
There are several benefits associated with a custom-fit mouthguard:
- In the event of contact, the mouthguard absorbs the impact, protecting their teeth from damage.
- Your childs jaw is protected from dislocation and fractures.
- There is a reduced risk of concussion.
- You save money. By providing your child with a mouthguard to protect their oral health, you do not have to spend money on repairs in the event of damage.
If your child is involved in a sport, getting a high-quality mouthguard is a must. Contact National Dental Oakland Gardens at (718) 407-0574 to schedule your child’s appointment today.