PROFESSIONAL TEETH WHITENING
Your teeth perform many important functions on a daily basis. They provide you with the ability to speak and chew. Ideally, they are also aesthetically pleasing. When you smile, your teeth are one of the very first things people notice. Teeth that are anything less than white can dull your smile, and make you appear older than you are. Discolored teeth also have a significant impact on your confidence. At National Dental Oakland Gardens, we can give you back your bright white teeth, restoring your smile (and your confidence) with whitening services.
HOW DOES YOUR SMILE BECOME DULLED?
There are several factors that contribute to discoloration:
- Foods and beverages. Certain foods, like dark berries and curries, along with some beverages, such as red wine, tea, and coffee, all contain dark pigments that collect on the surfaces of your teeth.
- Smoking. Cigarettes contain numerous chemicals. Tar and nicotine are the two responsible for staining. Tar is naturally dark, and nicotine turns dark when exposed to oxygen. These are also contained in other tobacco products and can leave unsightly stains.
- Medications. Blood pressure medications, some allergy medications, tetracycline, and doxycycline, are just a few of the medications that can stain your teeth.
- Age: As you get older, your enamel thins, showing the dentin layer (which is naturally darker in color) underneath.
OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCTS
There are plenty of products along the oral care aisles of your local stores. Whitening toothpaste contains abrasives that scrub away minor surface stains. Products like strips, gels, and pens all contain low levels of bleaching agents. These products can help with some minor stains, but they don’t usually provide the results that most people are looking for.
At National Dental, we offer two types of professional whitening. The first is chairside whitening, which is performed in our office. It only takes about an hour of your time and is completely painless. A device is placed in your mouth to keep it open and keep your lips off of your teeth. A protective gel is applied to your teeth. Next, the bleaching agent is applied to your teeth. The active ingredient in the whitening gel is either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. These ingredients are light activated. When we shine a light over your mouth, it activates the ingredient, which causes it to release oxygen. The oxygen then goes to work attacking stains. When your hour is over, your teeth are noticeably several shades whiter.
Our other whitening option allows you to whiten your teeth on your own time. We provide you with take-home trays, which are customized from impressions of your mouth, along with the bleaching agent. Whitening trays are made to be worn for 4 to 8 hours at a time. Results are noticeable in about a week.
HOW LONG DOES WHITENING LAST?
Whitening is not a permanent solution to discoloration. However, you can take measures to help it last longer. When you take the appropriate measures, whitening can last up to two years before the results begin to fade. These measures include:
- Limiting foods and beverages that cause stains.
- Drinking through a straw.
- Quitting smoking or other tobacco products.
- Brushing and flossing every day.
BENEFITS OF PROFESSIONAL WHITENING
There are numerous benefits to professional whitening:
- Your teeth are much whiter in a shorter period.
- Whitening enhances the quality of your smile.
- It knocks years off of your appearance.
- Your confidence is greatly increased.
If your smile has been dulled by discoloration, professional whitening can help. Contact National Dental Oakland Gardens at (718) 407-0574 to schedule your consultation today.